Like many of you, I spent the last year of quarantine dying from hanging out with friends. However, when it was finally time to socialize again, I quickly realized that I was a bit out of practice. Just “hanging out” wasn’t as easy as it used to be! Although there are times when you are full of fun ideas about things to do with friends and the challenge is that there just aren’t enough hours in the day, sometimes the opposite happens. It can be easy to end up sitting down, scrolling through social media “together” without being there, or just going to the same old cafe or watering hole. So, to help inspire my own creative get-togethers, I made a list of things to do with friends when I’m bored.
After a year of not being able to spend quality time with my friends, my goal is to be more intentional in every minute that I have to be in their presence.
If you get back together with friends and need some ideas, I’ve put together a list of 25 things to do with friends so you don’t waste precious time together. Use this list for inspiration or as a wish list; Just remember that you should never accept boredom, because boredom is basic.
Things to do with friends when bored:
1. Create a spa experience. It can be as simple as lifting your feet and putting on a mask, or as complicated as soaking your feet or doing massages and hair masks.
2. Go for a walk. Get some exercise in a nice park or neighborhood while talking and looking at the houses (my favorite part).
3. Play a play. Whether it’s cards, a board game, beer pong, or old-fashioned hide and seek, games are a great way to end boredom from friends.
4. Organize a movie marathon. It’s okay if you don’t have the energy to be active. Watch all the Harry Potter movies in order with a bag of hot popcorn and a glass of wine. Or use this list of the best ’90s movies for inspiration.
5. Make a cardio dance exercise video. Because dance parties are always better with friends.
7. Find the closest beach or pool. You are never too old to splash in the water with your best friends. Don’t forget to pack everything you need – this list of things to pack for the beach will help you!
8. Try a new restaurant in town. Get out of your comfort zone and experience something new together. Everyone asks for something different on the menu.
9. Have a wine tasting at home. Buy three bottles of wine: one over $ 20, one around $ 15, and one under $ 10. Cover the bottles with aluminum foil, pour each person a sip, and guess which wine is which. Or try a natural wine like a pèt nat and open your palette!
10. Do something creative. Hit the art supply store and pick up a fun project or hit town in old jeans or T-shirts with scissors and an embroidery kit.
11. Start a Book club. Plans always seem to go better together in person, so take your time and finally start that book club. Plan the order of the books you want to read (everyone adds one to the list). Get inspired by Most talked about books on TikTok.
12 Make a mood chart. Create a community mood chart or make one individually. Compare later.
13. Host an international dinner. Create and enjoy a menu with delicious foods from different parts of the world. My ideal international dinner: an appetizer of spicy tuna crispy rice, pizza for the table, tacos for dinner, and a side of truffle fries. Oh, and ice cream for dessert.
15. Set a nice table and order takeout. Have the table setting, the involved part of the dinner, not the kitchen. Use those plates that sit in the back of your pantry collecting dust and the linen napkins that you have been too lazy to use.
16. Try a new recipe. Because trial and error is more fun to laugh with a friend.
17. Bake something. I prefer to bake with friends mostly, so I don’t eat the whole dozen cookies alone.
18. Make your own pizza. Start from scratch with homemade dough or use store bought crusts. Get custom sizes so everyone can go nuts with your coverage options. Much more fun than Domino’s.
19. Practice your yoga. Watch a video or walk through some of your favorite streams.
20. Do a puzzle. Call me crazy but the riddles are exciting. Does anyone else get competitive putting in the last piece of the puzzle?
21. Build a new playlist together. Add songs that remind you of your memories together and listen to them when you are apart.
22 Purge your closet with a show of style. You know that scene from Sex & The City when Carrie Bradshaw moves out of her apartment and tries on all of her outfits for her friends to vote for? Yes, do that. Productive and fun.
23. Try your own CS. Go to the grocery store and buy all kinds of vanilla ice cream and sort them, or get creative and try something else.
24. Give each other a makeover. Don’t let the other person look in the mirror and put on makeup and / or hair for them. If the results are good, go show it off!
25. Go shopping for each other. Online or in person, choose an outfit for each that the other person has to wear. Be nice about this, girls.
26. Write letters to each other. Sure we text each other sincere, but text messages are temporary. Handwritten lettering is a dying art that I am determined to keep alive.
27. Create and compare wish lists. Give each other time to individually write down the things you want to do / achieve, then compare and make a “master list” of similar things. Then go do them together.
28. Congratulate each other. Go around a circle and tell everyone what you love about them. Take the time to strengthen your friends and remind them how great they are.
29. Make gourmet coffee. Add a new ingredient, froth your milk, or just enjoy it as an evening stimulant. Tip: Take note of how your friend drinks his coffee so you can surprise him with a cup of coffee later.
30. Sing karaoke. Traditional karaoke is quite fun, but if you’re looking for a laugh, try Cowboy Karaoke. The person singing is wearing headphones with the song at high volume, is blindfolded, and cannot hear themselves sing. For everyone else, you get a weirdly hilarious a cappella performance.
Save this post for the next time you need things to do when bored with friends and drop your ideas below!