When students reach college education, they understand that it won’t all be flowers and sunshine. There are different courses with extensive writing tasks, and to top off the confusion, it all comes with several formats like APA to structure reports. Here are five tips that will make the task easier to adopt.
Our tips for research paper are incomplete without stressing the importance of organizing research. If we consider the APA format, it does so beautifully. However, there are a few things you have to be careful on your part if you want to present a perfect research paper. Here are some things you can do on your own to organize the data you have:
- Make your way to all primary and secondary sources of data that you find credible;
- List down all the essential details that you will use in your paper;
- Re-read the notes once you’re through with the research process;
- Write related points tighter to avoid ambiguity;
- Throw away the notes that aren’t relevant to your chosen topic or don’t directly answer the question.
Once you have organized the research yourself, here is why relying on an APA style can do wonders for your research organization skills:
- It divides the paper into proper headings;
- The running head on each page reminds the reader about the topic;
- Every subtopic is dividing into proper paragraphs with separate headings;
- The discussion remains entirely independent of the introduction and details of the matter to ensure no information is repeated by mistake.
If you feel like it is too much for you as a newbie to focus on, no need to stress yourself out, you have Essay zoo to help you through the process. They will prepare spot-on reports in APA style to make life easy!
Pick an Interesting Topic
When students want to learn how to write a research paper using APA format, they often neglect the importance of choosing an interesting topic. Yes, there might be times when your teacher limits your choice and gives you a topic themselves; however, why throw yourself under the bus when they feel generous and let you choose.
If you go for a boring topic, you will write a bland report that will only take away from your grade. The research becomes tiresome, and you often don’t find or understand the information. Make sure you know the topic and its requirements before you begin writing on it.
Here are some things you should consider when you choose a topic:
- The topic should be relevant to your major when you are writing a paper;
- There must be primary and secondary sources to guide you on the matter;
- The topic should interest you;
- It would be great if the topic is relevant to the present issues instead of the past;
- Since it is an academic paper, the topic should be informative;
- It must inform your reader what they should expect from the report;
- The topic should be specific instead of general to target the right set of readers.
Form A Thesis
While writing an APA research paper, students must prepare a strong thesis statement. Furthermore, it must condense everything a reader expects in the report in a single sentence. Don’t get into the details but make sure you introduce the idea of the topic here. Everyone subconsciously looks for an idea of what the passage is about before getting on with it.
Many students feel the urge to write the thesis statement first because it is a part of the introduction; however, it is a mistake. It is a crucial APA writing guideline. We advise students to approach the thesis statement in the end because they often deviate from the initial one as they write. It nullifies the effect and credibility of the thesis statement. The revision can take time, so it is better to leave t for the end as the final step.
Here are the ways you can identify a well-written and catchy thesis statement:
- It takes a stand for the main idea;
- It introduces the central concept;
- It justifies the entire debate;
- It helps you develop the argument;
- It helps writers organize the essential aspects of the argument beforehand;
- It is specific and condenses the entire paper into a sentence correctly.
Be Sure to Cite Your Sources
When we discuss what is APA style writing, we can’t go ahead without discussing citations. They are the most critical aspect of the format. These citations aren’t a showpiece, and they are there in the paper for a reason. A citation is essential to link your work to the work of previous scholars. They also add more credibility to your paper which is necessary at a student level. You don’t have enough knowledge yourself to write professional reports without anything to back it up. These citations also help you relate and link your findings to previous ones and support your hypothesis, which is excellent for the validity of your research paper APA.
For APA in-text citations, you will need the name of the author of the study and the year in which the study is published. Next, you will write the second name of the writer inside parenthesis then add a comma, after which you will state the publishing year of the study. It is a simple method and relatively easy to get used to without any complications.
Then comes the bibliography, where you must prepare detailed citations with the author’s name, publisher’s name, the city where the study was published, the year, and the journal in which the article exists. Once you are done with that, you can add each citation alphabetically on a new report page under the references heading.
Re-read and Submit Your Paper
When students are writing a research paper, they have many questions. Most of these are related to how to write a paper in APA because of a lack of experience and knowledge about the format or how to start a research paper in general. They forget that they must keep other things like proofreading in mind once they finish the article.
Students neglect it in their excitement of completing the task themselves for the first time. Make sure you re-read your report and edit any errors you spot and remove any irrelevant information you see. Then you are free to submit it!
An APA writing is a piece of cake once you start using these tips. After that, you will never feel any hesitation working with it again. The journey from a resentful format to making it your all-time favorite might be challenging, but you will be there soon if you keep practicing!