“Stockings are not pants!” Leighton Meester’s Blair Waldorf screamed during the second season of Gossip Girl. The series, which ended its six-season run in 2012, returns this July on HBO Max with a new cast gracing the Met’s steps – and now, according to Eric Daman, who has had mastery over the show’s iconic aesthetic since the first. season stockings is it so pants. “Athleisure has merged into the system.” For the more than 200 costumes per episode, she sought out influential people (the Hadid sisters, Kaia Gerber) and the streets of her own East Village neighborhood; think oversized proportions, like XXL jackets paired with tiny biker shorts: “super contemporary. “And while longtime fans should be on the lookout for trendy Easter eggs,” the headband has been removed, “he says.” At least for the moment. “
More great stories from Vanity fair
– What is Naomi Osaka’s job, really?
– Did paying a ransom for a stolen Magritte painting inadvertently financed terrorism?
– YA Author AS King Lost Her Child. Now she hopes to save others
– First comes the pandemic divorce, then the summer of “Boobs out”
– After the BBC apology, how should we think about that Princess Diana interview? – A shipwreck, a Montauk mystery, and the class divide that still defines the Hamptons
– The Stakes of William and Kate’s Visit to Scotland
– The best swimsuits, just in time for summer
– From the archive: Queen Elizabeth’s Most Loyal subjects
– Register in the Real clock newsletter for all the talk from Kensington Palace and beyond.