The panorama: AMD has been crying with its Ryzen desktop CPUs for a while now, but recent sales data from one of Germany’s largest computer hardware retail stores reveals that Intel is still struggling. And with Alder Lake just around the corner, things are looking even more promising for the blue team.
The breakdown comes from the Reddit user. innate, which regularly shares data on the desktop CPU market and details the desktop CPU sales of Mindfactory. According to the data, 85 percent of the processors sold by Mindfactory in May 2021 were from AMD, leaving only 15 percent of the pie for Intel. By July, Intel had closed the gap a bit and captured 24 percent of CPU sales.
The data is significant for several reasons.
First, even though it only represents one retailer, the trends are consistent with what we are seeing at other retailers. Eight of the top 10 best-selling CPUs in Amazon they are AMD chips. In Newegg, seven of the top 10 chips are from AMD.
Another thing Intel has going for it is its pending release of Alder Lake. Chipzilla is expected to introduce high-end Alder Lake chips at an event in October, but it could save the rest of the lineup for CES 2022 in early January.
Alder Lake will be the company’s first chips to use a large LITTLE architecture and are expected to be compatible with Z690 motherboards. Previous reports suggest that the Z690 chipset will support both DDR4 and DDR5 and could support PCIe 5.0.