From Apple growth place in enterprise IT it means that solution providers serving that market segment are experiencing rapid growth.
Screen view for remote administrator
One of the largest MDM firms in the enterprise / Apple space, Mosyle, has introduced Screen view, a new feature to help IT administrators provide highly secure support. This new feature allows the IT department to use any device connected to the Mosyle admin portal to view the screen of any macOS, iOS or iPadOS device managed by the organization. This is a useful trick when trying to provide technical assistance, advice, or training.
To protect privacy and security, the feature uses an encrypted peer-to-peer connection between each device, so data remains private and is not transmitted or stored on Mosyle’s servers.
“IT teams and administrators are on the edge, managing and supporting countless devices, applications and systems, ”Mosyle founder and CEO Alcyr Araujo said in a press release. He said his company is committed to consolidating and automating the steps necessary to manage, protect and support Apple devices at work and school.
The Mosyle news comes as Apple’s business market experiences a flurry of activity.
- One of the leaders in the space, Jamf, continues to invest in propping up Apple’s platform security, finalizing its acquisition of Zero Trust Network Access firm Wandera this week.
- Jamf recently updated its configuration and reset products to make it much easier to manage and deploy iOS devices and shared iPads in school and business environments.
- Jamf also presented Unlocking, which allows employees to use Face and Touch ID on their iPhones to unlock their Macs.
- Appogee and TRUCE Software have partnered to offer fully managed iOS hardware implementations for businesses.
- Teradici and MacStadium offer Mac as a service, allowing easy remote provisioning of employees and more.
- Apple’s subsidiary Claris continues to develop its own business and education-focused solutions for integrating and managing Apple devices.
How Screen View works
Mosyle’s Screen View has built-in protections to ensure IT doesn’t abuse technology to control workers surreptitiously. It works like this:
- When an administrator wants to take a look at a remote employee’s screen, they will use an encrypted peer-to-peer connection between each device.
- A unique link is sent to the remote person, which they use to enable the session.
- The link will read as an invitation and will have a limited duration.
- For an additional layer of privacy, the end user must approve and start each session before it begins.
- Either party can end the sharing session at any time.
What sets Screen View apart is that this system integrates with an enterprise-ready MDM system, providing IT with a one-stop-shop to securely access and interrogate remote devices. This is very important when dealing with sensitive data.
Screen View also fits well in the emerging environment of remote and hybrid work. IT teams are also becoming more mobile, so solutions like this should help remotely distributed businesses maintain complex, remotely managed workforces. After all, hybrid workplaces are unlikely to disappear.
Screen View is available today with Mosyle Fuse and Mosyle Manager Premium; works with Safari, Chrome, Edge and Firefox.