The US military left Bagram airfield without informing its new Afghan commander, Afghan military officials told the Associated Press on Tuesday.
While the United States announced its departure from Bagram on Friday after nearly 20 years of operating the base, the new commander, General Mir Asadullah Kohistani, discovered the exit about two hours after US forces had left. Afghan military officials said the base was looted by looters before the country’s soldiers took full control.
“U.S [heard] some rumor that the Americans had left Bagram. . . and finally at seven in the morning we understood that it was confirmed that they had already left Bagram, “said Kohistani. he told the AP. US military spokesman Colonel Sonny Leggett referred the AP to a statement last week and did not comment directly on the allegation.
Afghan soldiers patrolling the base’s perimeter also said US forces left without informing them.
“In one night, they lost all the goodwill of 20 years by leaving as they did, at night, without notifying the Afghan soldiers who were outside patrolling the area,” said one soldier.
Earlier this year, President Biden announced plans to withdraw all US forces from Afghanistan before 9/11, after two decades of war.
“We cannot continue the cycle of extending or expanding our military presence in Afghanistan in the hope of creating ideal conditions for our withdrawal, expecting a different outcome,” Biden said at the time.
Concerns remain about the ability of Afghan forces to stand their ground against Taliban militants, who have gained control from various districts of the country in recent weeks.
Send a tip to the news team at NOT.