The Milwaukee Bucks hope Giannis Antetokounmpo has avoided a serious injury after leaving Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Finals with a left knee injury.
However, the team is not optimistic.
According to Farbod Esnaashari of the Bleacher Report, people within the Bucks organization fear Antetokounmpo suffered a “serious” anterior cruciate ligament injury.
The two-time MVP is scheduled to have a picture taken Wednesday after hyperextending his knee in a 110-88 loss to the Atlanta Hawks, according to ESPN’s Malika Andrews.
Antetokounmpo suffered the injury with just over seven minutes left in the third quarter of Tuesday’s loss. He jumped to contest an alley-oop from John Collins to Clint Capela and landed awkwardly on his left leg.
Before leaving, the 26-year-old had 14 points and eight rebounds in 24 minutes. Once it fell, the Hawks were able to easily walk away from the Bucks to tie the series 2-2.
Antetokounmpo is just the latest star player to suffer an injury this postseason. The list of players who have lost time due to injury during the playoffs would make up one of the best rosters in the NBA:
- Chris Paul, Phoenix Suns: Shoulder injury / COVID-19 (missed two games)
- Kawhi Leonard, Los Angeles Clippers: Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury (Out indefinitely)
- James Harden, Brooklyn Nets: Hamstring injury (missed three games)
- Kyrie Irving, Brooklyn Nets: Ankle injury (missed three games)
- Anthony Davis, Los Angeles Lakers: Groin injury (missed game)
- Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers: Knee injury (missed one game)
- Mike Conley, Utah Jazz: Hamstring injury (missed five games)
- Donovan Mitchell, Utah Jazz: Ankle injury (missed one game)
- Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks: Foot injury (missed game, status still uncertain)
- Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks: Knee injury (status uncertain)
It’s an incredibly long roster full of talented players, and it’s something we’ve never seen before. The injuries could be related to the lack of rest between the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons. Lebron James He even blamed injuries due to a tight schedule that limited players’ ability to rest properly.
The Lakers star also shared his concern and disappointment over Antetokounmpo via Twitter.
If Antetokounmpo is out for the remainder of the Eastern Conference Finals, the Bucks may not reach their title goals once again.