During these uncertain times, some are typical of increased stress levels and increased anxiety. COVID-19 has forced everyone to adjust to a “new normal”, causing us to change the way we interact with loved ones, friends and even colleagues, through physical distancing, staying at home and even self-isolation.
These are all normal responses to an uncertain or threatening event. You can call Keep Calm through the COVID line at 1-866-310-7977. This telephone line is available 24/7 and all calls are confidential. The Keep Calm through COVID line connects you with knowledgeable and compassionate counselors who can offer support and who can refer you to mental health and substance use counseling services.
Especially in times like these, it’s common to experience high levels of stress and heightened anxiety, and maintaining sobriety can be difficult. Here are some useful tools you can use to help you cope and maintain your sobriety while practicing the recommended physical spacing:
- Reflect on your journey and your successes
- Maintain your current support system through social media
- Get active! Dance, walk, run, practice yoga … practice physical movement
- Stay connected through video chat programs like FaceTime and Skype
- Meditate; create a relaxing environment
- Download apps that offer peer support and advice
- Join a virtual church, faith-based or support services, if applicable
- Read or listen to a book online
- Listen to a podcast
- Look for virtual support meetings online or by phone. Here are some suggestions: