Notepad ++ is a free source code editor (as in “free speech” and also as in “free beer”) and Notepad replacement that supports multiple languages. When running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by the GPL license.
Based on the powerful Scintilla editing component, Notepad ++ is written in C ++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL, ensuring faster execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing ease of use, Notepad ++ is trying to reduce global carbon dioxide emissions. When less CPU power is used, the PC can speed up and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
This project is mature. However, there may still be some bugs and missing features that are being worked on. If you have any questions or suggestions about this project, please post them on the forums. Also, if you want to make a feature request, you can also post it there. But there is no guarantee that it will implement your request.
You are encouraged to translate Notepad ++ into your native language if a translation is not already present on the Binary Translations page. And if you wish, we would greatly appreciate your help in translating the Notepad ++ official site into your native language.
- Syntax highlighting and syntax folding
- User-defined syntax highlighting
- Multiple document
- Multiple view
- Regular expression search / replace is supported
- Full drag and drop support
- Dynamic position of views
- Automatic file status detection
- Zoom in and out
- Supported multilingual environment
- Bracket and Indentation Guide Highlight
- Macro recording and playback
Dark mode, one of the most in-demand features, comes with Notepad ++ v8. Since this version, Notepad ++ can also run on any ARM64 device natively. Notepad ++ has a more modern look now thanks to the Fluent UI icons in the toolbar. The old standard icons are still kept and set as default. Microsoft Bing is removed from the Notepad ++ settings for the Search Internet command, due to its unreliability (More information).
- Add dark mode. (Implement # 9183 and # 7692)
- The ARM64 build is available. (Implement # 5158)
- One button to compile them all: Compile Notepad ++ with Scintilla’s static library and Boost RegExpr headers. (Implement # 9594)
- Add new fluid user interface icons for toolbar. (Implement # 9742)
- Add the new feature “Distraction-free mode” (Menu “View-> Distraction-free mode”).
- Add the new API NPPM_ADDTOOLBARICON_FORDARKMODE for dark mode (Implement # 9928).
- Add 1-click (SHIFT-click) action on close button to close all tabs in docker panel (Implement # 8922.
- Add the ability to change the foreground color of selected text (optional). (Fix # 3397 and # 1314)
- Let the replacement stop after the replacement (optional). (Implement # 4437)
- Fixed add extension feature not working in save dialog (Fix # 9939)
- Add the ability to reverse the order of the lines. (Implement # 9837)
- Add the ability to style only the current instance of text. (Fix # 9263)
- Fix duplicate entries in the AutoComplete pop-up window. (Fix # 9711)
- Fixed Python Function List not displaying functions under some circumstances. (Fix # 9844)
- Improve the performance of the folder as a workspace while adding / removing files in bulk. (Fix # 9203)
- Add Ada, Fortran, Fortran77, and Haskell to the role lists. (Fix # 9698)
- Improves the performance of the “Open All” command in search results. (Fix # 9819)
- Add the “Copy Path Names” command to the search results context menu. (Fix # 9821)
- Catch the regular expression search exceptions and display the exception message. (Fix # 9565)
- Add MarkAll Preferences settings for uppercase and lowercase and words. (Solution # 9751 and # 5148)
- Correct Regression: Handle “Default Directory” setting correctly in File Open / Save dialog. (Fix # 9767)
- Fixed a special character in the UTF16 file locking issue (regression). (Fix # 9797)
- Add the “Add Extension” check box to the Save As dialog. (Implement # 9515)
- The Correct Copy to Search Result command is available as there is no selection. (Fix # 9757)
- Add the padding ability in the edit area. (Fix # 2323)
- Make the name of the new tab translatable. (Fix # 2837)
- Improve handling of character cases in RegEx. (Fix # 9636)
- The dragged UDL file fix is not applied to the UDL in the new instance. (Fix # 3451)
- Add a command line parameter to add a specified string to the application title bar. (Implement # 9539)
- Fixes the case of ignoring automatic completion. (Solution # 3997, # 4833 and # 4998)
- Fixed “Match whole word” option enabled in regex search. (Fix # 9766)
- Correct the sort by selecting the column key that appears after the tab characters (Solution # 9682)
- Fixed the problem that the “Reload Workspace” menu command did not work. (Fix # 9350)
- Fix view file in Edge browser crash problem if name contains spaces. (Fix # 9313)
- Add the ability to avoid accumulating multiple search results. (Fix # 8777)
- Correct UTF-16 decoding / encoding for code points above U + FFFF. (Solution # 9597, # 3747 and # 5754)
- Fixed the “Save As” command removing the original path of the recent file history problem. (Fix # 9673)
- Fixes mixed problem of Feature List button information. (Fix # 9804)
- Remove Microsoft Bing from Notepad ++ for Search the Internet command, due to its unreliability. (Referee)
Qualification: Notepad ++ 7.9.2 is the latest version to run on Windows XP.