If you are on a weight loss program, then you have to work very hard and to achieve the desired goal, it requires dedication and consistency.
Today, there are many supplements and pills available in the market, which offer immediate results.
Glucomannan is one of them. It is a natural dietary fiber and is considered an effective weight loss supplement.
In this article, we will try to explore whether this statement is correct and whether it should be opted for.
What is glucomannan?
The Konjac plant is found throughout Asia and is also native to Asia. A substance called glucomannan is extracted from a tuber-like part of this konjac plant, which grows underneath. Konjac is also known as elephant yam and “suran” in India.
Glucomannan is a starchy corm and is a rich source of soluble dietary fiber. In China, it has been used as a medicine. The Japanese are also using this name for shirataki (noodles). In India it has been used as a vegetable dish.
In the western world, glucomannan is known as a weight loss dietary supplement. It is available in the form of powder, capsules and tablets in the market. Glucomannan is used for weight loss, constipation, diabetes, high blood pressure, and gastrointestinal disorders.
Glucomannan is also used as a gelatin substitute to thicken foods as a gelling agent.
Can glucomannan help lose weight?
As mentioned above, glucomannan is a water-soluble dietary fiber.
There are several plus points that make glucomannan a weight loss supplement.
- Since fiber is water soluble, it takes up space in your stomach and promotes fullness (satiety), so it’s only natural that you reduce your food accordingly.
- It is low in calories.
- Improve your intestinal system.
There are several studies showing that regular intake of glucomannan in obese people results in significant weight loss. Glucomannan is very viscous in nature, and this quality makes it exceptionally effective in weight loss. (1) , (2)
Studies show that glucomannan has no effect on weight loss if consumed after a meal. So if you want to reduce weight, try having it before a meal. Since it is water soluble fiber, it will expand in the intestine and eventually the person will feel full and eat less. (3)
Other health benefits
Glucomannan is water soluble fiber and increases bulk in the intestine, which is useful in monitoring medical conditions.
- At least fourteen studies were conducted and the result of these studies shows that the use of glucomannan significantly reduced the total cholesterol level. (4)
-Total cholesterol by 19mg/dL
– Bad cholesterol-LDL at 16 mg/dL
-Triglycerides by 11mg/dL
- Glucomannan contains soluble fiber, and soluble fiber can help improve digestion. There are several studies carried out and it shows that it can be used as an ideal therapeutic complement in the management of chronic constipation. So one can consider it as a natural remedy for constipation. (Four. Five)
- Based on previous research, glucomannan may help reduce the risk of developing heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Studies show a transient drop in blood sugar, but no significant effect on HbA1c. (6)
-Fasting blood sugar drop at 7.4 mg/dL
Glucomannan supplements are considered safe when taken as prescribed.
Like most fiber products, it can also cause digestive problems such as:
- diarrhea or loose stools
- abdominal pain
Also, glucomannan can expand before reaching the stomach. And it can lead to choking of the throat or esophagus. So it is advisable to wash it properly with water before using it.
If you want to lose weight, the mere use of glucomannan will not help you. You should consider lifestyle change and weight loss strategy; otherwise it won’t work. Glucomannan can help you lose weight, but it won’t work miracles on its own.
There are several glucomannan supplements available online.
Get your Free Ebook!!
(contact-form-7 id=”781″ title=”Get your free ebook now!”)