Dad’s house. Harry Connick Jr. has been issued in the next Annie Live! on NBC. Connick Jr., a multiple Emmy and Grammy winner and Tony nominee, will take on the role of bald billionaire Sir Oliver “Daddy” Warbucks, whose heart opens after meeting little orphan Annie. Hey join Taraji P. Henson, who has been cast as Miss Hannigan, the director of the orphanage where Annie lives, who hates children.
“I am delighted to have the opportunity to play Daddy Warbucks on ‘Annie Live!’ and working alongside Taraji P. Henson is a dream come true, ”Connick said in a statement. “I love this show, and its musical message of love and hope couldn’t come at a better time.”
“We are delighted that Harry Connick Jr. is playing Daddy Warbucks,” added the executive producer. Robert Greenblatt. “He’s a true entertainer who sings, and dances, to the best of them, and will bring a whole new approach to this character. And give Miss Hannigan from Taraji P. Henson a shot at her money for Annie! “Together with Greenblatt, Neil meron other Alex rudzinsky they are executive producers Annie Live!, with Lear de Besonet other Alex rudzinski configured to co-lead.
As for Annie herself: A nationwide casting search is underway to fill the lead role in the musical, originating from Andrea McArdle in the 1977 Tony-winning Broadway production. Most recently Oscar nominee Quvenzhané Valais sang “Tomorrow” as Annie in the 2014 film adaptation also starring Cameron Diaz as Miss Hannigan and Jamie Fox like Daddy Warbucks.
The live production of the musical will air on Thursday, December 2 on NBC.
More great stories from Vanity fair
– To Peter Jackson’s exclusive deep dive into The Beatles: Get Back
– Joseph Fiennes in his Maid’s tale Destination
– The 10 best movies of 2021 (so far)
– Jane Levy in the Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist Cancellation
– It is Luca Pixar’s first gay movie?
– How Physical Got under Rose Byrne’s skin
– What is Bo Burnham? Indoors Are you really trying to say?
– Simu Liu is ready to face Marvel
– From the Archive: Jackie and Joan Collins, Queens of the road
– Sign up for the “HWD Daily” newsletter for industry coverage and must-read awards, plus a special weekly “Awards Insider” issue.