Here’s one thing that hasn’t changed in the last five years: Angelina Jolie other Brad Pitt they are still discussing their divorce. And the case doesn’t seem to be accelerating anytime soon. On Friday, an appeals court ruled that the couple’s judge must be disqualified.
The California Second District Court of Appeals agreed with the assertions made by Jolie’s team that the Judge John W. Orderkirk did not sufficiently disclose a business relationship with Pitt’s attorneys. As such, the custody battle for the couple’s five children, “which was coming to an end” according to The Associated Press, “It could be just the beginning.”
“Judge Ouderkirk’s ethical violation, considered in conjunction with the information released about his recent professional relationships with Pitt’s attorney, could cause an objective person, aware of all the facts, to reasonably harbor a doubt about the judge’s ability to be impartial “, declared the Court. “Disqualification is required,” they concluded.
Ouderkirk, a retired superior court judge, was privately hired by Pitt and Jolie, apparently a common sight among celebrity couples. (The main motivation hiring a costly private judge is keeping as many proceedings as possible secret).
Jolie had asked Ouderkirk to disqualify himself last august. A lower court said his request came too late, but he appealed.
To give you an idea of how long this has been going on, when Jolie first filed for divorce from Pitt, the number one movie. at the box office That Stain, and “Closer” by Chainsmokers with Halsey what on top the Billboard Hot 100 chart. In other words, it was quite a long time ago. (September 15, 2016, to be precise).
The couple chose to have a bifurcated trial, meaning that their marriage was officially declared terminated while other matters of their divorce were finalized. As such, they were officially declared single. in April 2019While other issues, notably custody of her five children, worked their way through the system.
Friday’s decision arrives two months after the court awarded Pitt and Jolie joint 50% physical and legal custody. That rule is now unoccupied. “We will continue to do what is legally necessary based on detailed findings of what is best for children.” said a representative for Pitt.
In addition to child custody, the lengthy divorce has slowed down Jolie’s efforts to sell a vineyard in France, according to the New York Post. In the meantime, he’s been dating bees.
More great stories from Vanity fair
– Cover article: Dua Lipa on creation Nostalgia for the future
– Inside Ghislaine Maxwell’s battle with the Bureau of Prisons
– Prince William and Prince Harry “turn a new page” in their relationship
– 11 books we think you should read this July
– Inside Los Angeles’ most iconic example of mid-century modern architecture
– Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez are ready to spend the “rest of their lives together”
– Essential looks from the 2021 Cannes Film Festival
– A brief history of Princess Diana’s fiery family
– Best Musician Tested Waterproof Masks for Summer Riding
– From the Archive: To the heart of the heiress
– Enroll in The shopping line to receive a curated shopping list of fashion, books, and beauty products in a weekly newsletter.