Nick Hockley, Acting Chief Executive Officer of Cricket Australia, has confirmed that the Cricket Control Board in India (BCCI) is funding the quarantine stay of IPL Australian cricketers in Sydney. IPL 2021 was suspended indefinitely on May 4 due to covid cases in the four-piece biobubble.
Following the suspension of the tournament, the Australian contingent of 40 who appeared at IPL 2021 was transferred to the Maldives. They eventually got a flight back to Australia on Monday after the government ban on direct and indirect flights from India was lifted.
There were also reports of preferential treatment being given to Australian players returning home from the Maldives, but Hockley confirmed that BCCI had paid for the entire deal.
When asked by The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald if BCCI was funding the quarantine of Australian players, Hockley said: “From the beginning, BCCI was committed to ensuring they got home safely and as quickly as possible. We work closely with them. They have been fantastic. They have kept that promise. ”
Earlier this month, BCCI had said that it would do everything possible to organize the safe passage of all participants in IPL 2021. The Australian government had insisted that the players would not receive special provisions to return home, citing that the players had gone to play IPL of their own free will. Cricket Australia has put a price on BCCI for delivering on a promise to bring all foreign players back to their countries once the tournament is suspended.
Meanwhile, CSK hitting coach Mike Hussey also returned to Australia on Monday after recovering from COVID-19. Kasi Viswanathan, executive director of the franchise, told PTI that Hussey had left for Australia on Sunday morning via Doha on a commercial flight. Australia lifted a two-week ban on its citizens returning from COVID-ravaged India last week.