Make a happy noise. On Wednesday, the first trailer was released for Tammy Faye’s eyes, starring Academy Award nominee Jessica chastain as disgraced evangelist, Christian television personality and recording artist Tammy Faye Baker. Oscar nominee Andrew Garfield She co-stars as her ex-husband, Jim Bakker, who would eventually be indicted, convicted, and jailed on numerous counts of fraud and conspiracy in 1989.
Directed by a comedian turned filmmaker Michael Showalter, Tammy Faye’s eyes follow the rise and fall of Faye and Jim, from modest Christians to founders and co-hosts of the immensely popular Evangelist program The PTL club to public outcasts embroiled in scandals. In the trailer, Chastain takes us on a wild ride as Baker, showing us how her character evolves from a humble brunette wife to an incredibly tanned and blonde mogul with a penchant for heavy eyeliner and blue eyeshadow. “This is who I am,” Chastain says to close the trailer, completely unrecognizable to the doe-eyed newlywed we first met.
Beyond Tammy Faye’s distinctive look, the trailer also captures her various idiosyncrasies, such as her love of puppets and her unique singing voice, which Chastain displays as she bursts into a rousing rendition of “Jesus keeps taking me higher and higher.” The trailer also addresses some of Faye’s unconventional views regarding the LGBT community, who urged her Christian followers to show compassion for those suffering from HIV / AIDS. “Faith is not political,” Chastain tells conservative activist and televangelist Jerry Falwell Sr., played by Vincent D’Onofrio.
Tammy Faye’s eyes is scheduled to hit theaters on September 17, 2021.
More great stories from Vanity fair
– An oral history of A different world, as told by the cast and crew
– Home Truths: How HGTV, Magnolia, and Netflix Are Building a Massive Space
– Cruella de Vil is evil – But Tallulah Bankhead was even wilder
– Because Easttown Mare I always had to end that way
– Cover story: Issa Rae says goodbye to Unsafe
– Kathryn Hahn all the time
– Because Kim’s convenience Business
– Court dismisses lawsuit of aggression against trans people against Rosario Dawson
– From the Archive: When Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez Perfect sense
– Sign up for the “HWD Daily” newsletter for awards coverage and the must-read industry, plus a special weekly edition of Awards Insider.