EXCLUSIVE: Judge Judy wrapped up filming on her long-running syndicated series earlier this year, but her efforts to close a $ 5 million lawsuit against her and CBS over proceeds from the lucrative sale of the court’s daytime reality TV library they fell short today.
But both parties are determined to fight until trial.
In what was the last twist at the time in the cavernous battle for large amounts of money from Judge Judy The series, last August, Rebel Entertainment Partners sued former Manhattan family court judge Judy Sheindlin and a million-dollar division of ViacomCBS over the seemingly sleight-of-hand sale of $ 95 million of Judge JudyPast shows date back a few years, when Les Moonves still dominated CBS.
House of Representatives Lawmakers Criticize Technology on All Sides with Five Bills Say Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Google “Prioritize Power Over Innovation”
In a brief hearing today in Los Angeles Superior Court, Judge Patricia Nieto upheld her provisional ruling yesterday denying Sheindlin’s objection to multiple causes of action in the nearly year-long matter. The gist of Judge Judy’s now stunted move was the argument that plaintiff Rebel Entertainment Partners “has no standing to sue in this contract as a third party beneficiary,” as Judge Nieto’s order explains (read the minute order here)
Rebel is the “successor in interest” of Judge Judy original packer talent agent Richard Lawrence and his firm Abrams, Rubaloff & Lawrence. The plaintiffs have long been a legal thorn in Sheindlin’s grip, to put it mildly, in his pursuit of profit-sharing payments and more.
Rebel lawyer Bryan Freedman, who helped secure a large reward for the departure of the now ex Single Franchise host Chris Harrison earlier this week is already looking forward to the next round.
“In March, Judge Judy’s frivolous lawsuit against Rebel and Richard Lawrence was dismissed after the judge determined that she had no standing to sue,” Freedman + Taitelman’s partner told News Block. Ironically, Judy later claimed that Rebel had no standing to sue her. The Court has correctly rejected this unsubstantiated argument. CBS and Judy have intentionally ignored the rights of the for-profit participants who made their success possible. Such behavior will not be tolerated. “
Sheindlin herself responded without reservation to today’s decision.
“Richard Lawrence has made more than $ 22 million, although I’ve only seen him once in an elevator since our show began 25 years ago,” Judge Judy told News Block. I await a trial. “
CBS did not comment on today’s decision or the matter in general.
After it was postponed from its original date of May 10 to today last month, the virtual hearing did not set a trial date on the matter, although that could come soon, I heard.
Thursday’s ruling also follows Sheindlin in late March closing her own $ 22 million action against Lawrence and Rebel because protocol required she add CBS as a defendant, which she refused to do. Sheindlin’s decision not to file a required amended complaint was prompted by LASC Judge Richard Burdge who significantly cut the sails of Judge Judy’s original complaint on February 24.
With all that, and at the slow pace this case is progressing, as the courts are generally reopening to emerge from the pandemic, it could be a whole new world by the time the trial begins.
After 25 years, the last original Judge Judy airs in late July, with a more recent exit fight with CBS over the feeling Sheindlin was “disrespected.” Still, Sheindlin has apparently received great respect from Amazon Studios and their IMDb TV. She will return to the small screen with successor series, Judy Justice online later this year.