Interested in knowing what’s next for the gaming industry? Join gaming executives to discuss the emerging parts of the industry this October at GamesBeat Summit Next. sign up today.
I’ll be honest with you: your girl here is not a die-hard. Pokemon fan. I have nothing against the series, and it’s been a part of my personal and professional life since the ’90s, so I couldn’t ignore it even if I wanted to. But the announcement of a new release never fails to make the little doe-eyed third grader in me sit up and say, “Hey, that still looks like fun!” And Scarlet and Violet are no exception. The Pokemon Company this week released new details about the new titles, including a look at the new region, Paldea.
I’m not going to say that the possibility of having a Pokémon motorcycle will be enough to entice me to play the game. but certainly not hurt. I can say that I will at least immerse myself in it. I need to find out what’s wrong with those damn glass hats I saw at the presentation. I also think I’ll try to knit Grusha’s scarf, because it’s quite elegant.
Speaking of something that has been a part of my life since the 90s, a new tomb raider script has appeared online. If it’s real, then the game would follow the exploits of an older Lara Croft working with a team of other archaeologists. I haven’t read the docs myself, but I get the impression that Lara, now a legend and with nothing left to prove, has taken some young history buffs under her wing. She too might finally find a romantic partner. I would be very happy if this turns out to be true. Lara Croft hasn’t really evolved as a character in 26 years. Not only does she deserve happiness and personal fulfillment, but she also deserves to take her place in the “former lone wolf turned bossy father figure” hall of fame alongside Kratos, Dante, and the Mortal Kombat cast.
On personal news, I’m going to keep trying to hack him in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 this weekend. I’ve spent part of the week playing Two Point Campus (which I’ll cover in more depth next week), and I feel like I need to clean up my palace a bit. This one is also relatively weak on big new releases, so I think if anyone needs a moment to catch up, or catch their breath, this is it.
What to play this week
- turbo golf racing
- The morgue attendant
- south of the circle
- Retreat to Enen
New to subscription services:
- Ghost Recon Wildlands (Xbox Game Pass)
- Shenzhen I/O (Xbox Game Pass)
- Calico (Xbox Games with Gold)
- Saint’s Row 2 (Xbox Games with Gold)
- Amazing Bomberman (Apple Arcade)
- Yakuza: like a dragon (PlayStation Plus)
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 (PlayStation Plus)
- Little Nightmares (PlayStation Plus)
- Calico (Stadia Pro)
- Saints Row: The Third – Remastered (Stadia Pro)
- Monster Jam Steel Titans 2 (Stadia Pro)
- Shantae Half Genie Hero Ultimate Edition (Stadia Pro)
- Murder by Numbers (Stadia Pro)
- Welcome to Elk (Stadia Pro)
- StarCraft: Remastered (first game)
- Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (Prime Gaming)
- Beasts of Wonder Island (Prime Gaming)
- Recompile (Prime Gaming)
- ScourgeBringer (main game)
- Family Mysteries: Poisonous Promises (Prime Gaming)
- Controller: Ultimate Edition (Prime Gaming)
- Myst (main game)
- Garfield Kart (Prime Gaming)
- Steel Assault (main game)
- Asphalt 9: Legends (GeForce Now)
- Lost Light (GeForce Now)
- Camp Canyonwood (GeForce Now)
- Creeper World 4 (GeForce Now)
- Hardspace: Shipbreaker (GeForce Now)
- Strategic Mind: Blitz (GeForce Now)
- Strategic Mind: The Pacific (GeForce Now)
- Strategic Mind: Specter of Communism (GeForce Now)
- Strategic Mind: Freedom Fight (GeForce Now)
- Talisman: Digital Edition (GeForce Now)
- Video Horror Society (GeForce Now)
The GamesBeat Creed covering the games industry is “where passion meets business.” What does this mean? We want to tell you how news matters to you, not only as a decision maker at a game studio, but also as a gamer. Whether you’re reading our articles, listening to our podcasts, or watching our videos, GamesBeat will help you learn about the industry and enjoy being involved. Learn more about membership.