The hosts continued their upward trajectory under Franck Haise last season, securing a second successive top-half finish just two years after promotion. They finished seventh in the league with 62 points from 38 games, their highest score in Ligue 1 this century.
Lens has had a couple of big departures this summer, including Check Doucoure and Jonathan Clauss. However, they have brought in multiple quality signings at discounted prices and hope to help the club do better this season.
Meanwhile, Brest also enjoyed a solid run last season, with new manager Michel Der Zakarian doing wonders. They escaped relegation by just one point in the 2020-21 campaign but secured an 11th-place finish last season, collecting 48 points from 38 games.
The visitors have brought some new faces, including former Norwich men Melou by Pierre Lee and Karamoko Dembele. They have enjoyed a solid pre-season, winning three of their four games and hope to carry that momentum into the new season.
Lens vs Brest Head to head and key numbers
- Sunday’s match will mark the 20th meeting between Lens and Brest. The hosts have won seven of their previous clashes, while Brest have won two more. There have been three draws between the two teams.
- The Pirates are undefeated in their last three games in this matchup after losing two of the previous three.
- Lens have not had a clean sheet in their last ten games in this fixture.
- Blood and Gold just lost three league games at home last season, the second fewest in the division.
- Exactly half of Brest’s league defeats last season were away from home.
- The hosts scored 62 league goals last season, their highest-scoring campaign in nearly four decades.
Prediction Lens vs Brest
Lens closed the previous campaign with an unbeaten streak of eight games. They kept up that form in the off-season, winning four of their six games, including a 1-0 victory over Inter Milan. They have only lost one home game since March and will relish their chances in this one.
Brest, meanwhile, played well in pre-season but struggled to get results away from home last season and could lose here.
prediction: Lens 1-0 Brest.
Lens vs Brest Betting Tips
Tip 1 – Result: Lens.
Tip 2 – Both teams score: NO (Only one team has found the back of the net in all but one of Lens’s last six games.)
Tip 3 – Goals – Over/Under 2.5 – Under 2.5 goals (All but one of Brest’s last five games have produced under 2.5 goals.)
Paul Merson has predicted all the matches of GW 1 in the Premier League. More details right here