Liverpool Women’s Hospital Explosion Declared Terrorist Incident – Live Updates | News from the UK


Here are some more details on the incident from the Guardian crime correspondent Vikram Dodd.

Police investigating the blast and fireball outside a Liverpool hospital believe they have found materials linked to the explosive device used., after a series of dramatic raids and searches.

Investigators believe a suspected IED caused the fireball and explosion shortly after the taxi pulled up outside the entrance to the Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

The explosion around 11 on Sunday led to a series of armed raids and searches, during which materials consistent with the production of an IED in Liverpool. Some residents have been evacuated.

It is believed that the taxi driver was in the vehicle at the time of the explosion and fled after the device was turned on.

The threat level of terrorism in the UK remains substantial, meaning an attack is likely.


Police declare the explosion at the Liverpool women’s hospital a terrorist attack

A. a taxi exploded outside the Liverpool Women’s Hospital in England Sunday morning, killing one and wounding another.

Here’s what we know so far:

  • A taxi exploded in flames outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital in the city center in England, UK, just before 11am on Sunday.
  • A male passenger inside the vehicle was killed in the blast and pronounced dead on the spot, Merseyside police confirmed. The police are working to establish his identity.
  • The driver managed to escape before the flames spread and is hospitalized in stable conditions.
  • Following police raids, three men – aged 29, 26 and 21 – were arrested in the Kensington area of ​​the city under the Terrorism Act, police said in a declaration on Sunday evening.
  • In the hours following the explosion, a strong police presence was reported on three streets in the city: Sutcliffe and Boaler streets in Kensington and Rutland Avenue in Sefton Park. Fire squads and police officers wearing vests marked “negotiator” were seen on Rutland Avenue and cordons remain in place.
  • Police said they are “keeping an open mind” about what caused the explosion. Investigators believe this is unlikely to be a vehicle failure and are investigating whether the moment of the explosion, when the Sunday silence was supposed to begin in the nearby cathedral, was intentional.
  • The investigations are conducted by the counter-terrorism police assisted by the Merseyside police and MI5.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here