MONTREAL – Logan Mailloux said he knows second chances are earned and not simply given, even if the Montreal Canadiens gave him one before he felt he deserved it.
Mailloux also said he knows how to win the trust of thousands of Canadiens fans who were apparently upset by Montreal’s decision to select him in the first round of the NHL Draft is in order. He was charged with invasion of privacy and defamation for sharing photos of himself engaging in sexual activity with a woman who did not consent to those photos being taken and shared, and he has no illusions about how they will receive it until he can prove that he is. . sincere in his remorse and that he has changed, if he can.
“All I can hope is that they will do it (trust me) and that they can trust me,” Mailloux said during his first media availability following his pick, 31st overall, by the Canadiens in a draft he had resigned. At the beginning of the week. from.
“I made a stupid mistake,” added the Belle River, Ontario native of his crime in Sweden last year, “and I think I need to regain that trust. It is not something that should be given to me at all. I think that’s the reason I came out with that statement Tuesday is that I felt it was a right that I hadn’t earned by being drafted into the NHL. And I think being in Montreal, I want to promote myself as an individual and as a person, and I hope that I can have a positive impact on the community in the future and I think that they will be able to help me in those guidelines here. “
How the Canadiens intend to do that is still in question.
When Sportsnet asked general manager Marc Bergevin what steps the Canadiens will take to support Mailloux in his rehabilitation, he did not offer details.
Mailloux said that about 12 hours later, on Saturday, plans were being discussed with Canadians, but that no initiatives had been established.
“I just know they’re going to be able to help with that,” Mailloux said, “and somehow they’ll put me on the right track for sure.”
The 18-year-old’s own steps toward self-improvement before being drafted on Saturday night were outlined in his opening statement (read in English and French), and in the answers he provided to subsequent questions.
“During an intimate moment with a young woman, I took a photo of us without her consent,” Mailloux began. “I sent it to my colleagues to impress them. It was totally irresponsible and a stupid act that I did without a second thought. For that lack of judgment on my part, I was fined ($ 1,650) under Swedish law. I know that I caused a lot of harm to this person and his family, and I am sorry I did this stupid and selfish act. I am deeply sorry. What I did now is unfortunately part of his life and mine. I have apologized to her, but this will follow her for the rest of her life, and for that, I am deeply and sincerely sorry. “
When Sportsnet asked Mailloux if he had made additional attempts to reconcile with his victim after she had said The athletic Earlier this week, she did not believe she had received a “sincere” apology from him, saying, “At this point, I just hope she knows that I am sincere about this. I am so sorry. It’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever done in my life and I know it affected her life. And I just hope she knows how sorry I feel, and I’m sorry for that. “
Mailloux, who spent the season with Swedish third-division team SK Lejon, on loan from the London Knights after OHL canceled his schedule due to COVID-19 concerns, said months of therapy since the incident have put him in the correct road.
“I have met with a therapist and she helps me go through what is going on in my life and how I can improve if I move forward with this situation,” explained Mailloux. “And just with myself, just with everything that happens in my life, it’s definitely something that has helped me keep up and be able to navigate my way through this journey.”
One step he said he intends to take moving forward will be to share his story with future generations of players to dissuade them from acting like he did.
The fact that Mailloux did not have a plan beyond that only affirmed how discouraging it was that Canadians chose to choose him at this juncture. A report of his crime only appeared publicly in North America on July 16, when DailyFaceoff.com published this interview with the. And he explained that after posting his draft resignation statement on July 20, he had no contact with the Canadiens or any other team seeking to further identify whether he had in fact matured from this incident.
“I had multiple meetings,” Mailloux said. “Interviews and meetings with Montreal throughout the year. But for the last week, since I posted that statement, I have not spoken to anyone. So, it has been quiet on that front ever since. “
To think that there was enough time to make a proper character assessment here is questionable at best, especially since Mailloux explicitly stated that it was not.
“I didn’t say that I think I deserve to be selected,” he said. “As I said in my statement, I did not think that I would earn the right to be selected.”
Nor did at least 11 teams, according to The athletic. Y DailyFaceoff.com reported that at least six of those teams refused even to meet with Mailloux in the lead-up to the draft.
Mailloux, the 212-pound, six-foot-three-inch angler who ranked 23rd on the final list of North American skaters for the NHL’s center team, was outclassed 29 times before the Canadiens stunned the hockey world and shocked it. selected.
“Only on the hockey side, we saw players who were chosen before him, we are only talking about the hockey side at the moment, he was one step ahead of them,” Bergevin said after repeating several times that what he had done Mailloux was “unacceptable”.
“And of the available players, just on the hockey side, he was the best choice,” Bergevin continued.
From a moral point of view, there was no defense of the pick. Obviously, it was done to partially supplant what was lost when 22-year-old right-hander Cale Fleury was selected by the Kraken in the Seattle Expansion Draft on Wednesday and when Canadiens captain and right-back Shea Weber was confirmed. on Thursday his career was cut short by a multitude of injuries, and the reaction from fans has been voluminous and fierce.
Mailloux hopes to face him head-on.
“I hope the fans learn to accept me,” he said. “And I feel regretful, and I hope that not only the girl but the entire fanbase knows it as well. This was a stupid mistake I made, and an immature mistake. “
Mailloux insists that it has already grown.
“I think in the last eight months, just going through this, I think I’ve changed a lot as a person,” he said. “I think I have changed a lot of personality traits. I look at situations differently, I look at things differently, I think differently about different situations. So, I think now I’m more thoughtful and more careful about everything, and I think that I worry a lot more. Like I said, I am more thoughtful and I just hope that I can continue to improve in different aspects in the future. “
Show that it will be necessary.