As the date of the unveiling of the statue dedicated to the memory of Princess Diana approaches, tensions among the royal family continue to rise. But Prince carlos has decided to walk away from any potential domestic disputes by allegedly skipping the event entirely.
Prince william other Prince harry Both are reportedly planning to deliver speeches for the special occasion on Thursday that marks what would have been Princess Diana’s 60th birthday. But according to a source who spoke to him UK Times, the Prince of Wales is concerned that the event will bring out too many painful emotions. “He finds it terribly difficult,” the source said. “These moments have the potential to resurface old hurts and bring back memories; happy, sad, sorry. Since Diana’s death, he has felt it best to keep those memories for himself and let his children do it. ”Charles and Diana divorced in 1996, a year before their untimely death in a car accident in Paris.
The opening ceremony held in the Sunken Garden of Kensington Palace has taken five years to complete, as a source previously said Vanity fair that the brothers have agreed to call a temporary truce for the day. “What you’ll see is a carefully choreographed unity show for that day, at least,” they said. But that persistent brotherly struggle continues to cause many in his circle to fear that the breakup will end up overshadowing this important occasion. A source told the Times. “On that day, it will be difficult to separate the statue from the occasion, which is now laden with all sorts of unwanted baggage.”
Another source noted that Harry’s comments both in his March interview with Oprah and the mental health documentary they made together really upset her brother. “William is still mad about it,” says a close friend of both brothers. “It is despair as well as anger.” So it makes sense that those around them have doubts that princes can mend their relationship so easily. “Neither of us offers an olive branch,” added that same close friend. “I’m afraid it will be the same as at Prince Philip’s funeral, a gesture of recognition, and that’s it.”
More great stories from Vanity fair
– A messy vaccinated wedding season has arrived
– How Harry and Meghan Decided on the Name Lilibet Diana
– Black Joy comes to Shakespeare in the park
– Even more details emerge from Kanye West and Irina Shayk
– Bennifer’s story really has it all
– Before the Diana tribute, Harry and William are still working on their relationship
– Tommy Dorfman on rewriting queer narratives and the smell of good sweat
– From the archive: a return to the The best DJS in the world
– Sign up for the “Royal Watch” newsletter to get all the talk from Kensington Palace and beyond.