In February, Simon Bowes-Lyon, the nineteenth Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne and a cousin of Queen Elizabeth, received a 10-month jail sentence after pleading guilty to sexual assault. According to Mirror, Bowes-Lyon has been released from HMP Perth in Scotland after serving five months.
The assault, which took place in February 2020, occurred at his family’s ancestral home, Glamis Castle in Scotland. According to The guardianThe victim was attending a three-day public relations event at the castle when Bowes-Lyon broke into her room and assaulted her. “Through it all, he made it clear that he wanted you to stop,” the Dundee sheriff said. Alastair carmichael she said at her sentencing in February 2021. “She repeatedly told you she had a boyfriend, repeatedly told you to leave and repeatedly you had to keep moving away from her. All of which you ignored. “
Bowes-Lyon released a statement after his sentencing. “I am very ashamed of my actions that have caused so much distress to a guest in my home,” he said. “I didn’t think I was capable of behaving like I did, but I had to face it and take responsibility.” He was also listed on the sex offender registry.
In February, People reported that the bailiff had decided that Glamis Castle was suitable for house arrest, but that the sentence would be served in prison. When contacted by The Mirror, a spokesman for the Scottish Prison Service said it did not comment on individual cases. Strathmore Estates, the company that manages Glamis Castle and the surrounding lands, declined to comment when contacted by The times.
Bowes-Lyon is the great-nephew of the Queen’s mother, who was born Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon. Glamis Castle, which has been in the family since 1372, was the childhood home of the Queen Mother.
More great stories from Vanity fair
– Behind the scenes of the iconic nude portrait of Anthony Bourdain
– Will TikTok save the Olympics?
– King Edward VIII, King George VI, and the rift that changed history
– New summer books for all moods
– Jeff Bezos and the transformative magic of going into space
– The best next-generation facial toners for balanced skin
– Jared and Ivanka reportedly shut down Billionaire Bunker Mansion 2.0 project
– The rehabilitation of Prince Edward and Sophie
– From the archive: as John Kennedy Graciously took his place in History
– Enroll in The shopping line to receive a curated shopping list of fashion, books and beauty products in a weekly newsletter.