Between 2016 and 2020, the hotel was where GOP lawmakers, business executives with business in front of the DOJ, representatives of foreign governments, and anyone trying to kiss the ring they knew their money would go far. “Why shouldn’t I stay at his hotel a few blocks from the White House, so I can tell the new president, ‘I love your new hotel!’ Isn’t it rude to come to your town and say, ‘Am I staying with your competitor?’ ”An Asian diplomat said The Washington Post in 2016.
In February the Washingtonian reported that the waiters in the hotel restaurant had to follow a strict seven-step protocol to serve Trump his Diet Coke; that the size of his tablemate’s steak had to be smaller than his own; that the mini glass bottles of Heinz ketchup had to be opened “in front” [him], taking care to hear the seal emit the ‘pop’ sound ”; and that “a tray of junk food had to be available for every Trump visit: Lay’s chips (specifically, sour cream and onion), Milky Way, Snickers, Nature Valley Granola Bars, Tic Tacs, gummy bears, Chips Ahoy, Oreos, Nutter Butters, Tootsie Rolls, Chocolate Dipped Raisins and Pop-Secret “.
Last month, the House Supervisory Committee found that despite all the integrated business, the hotel lost over $ 73 million while Trump was in office.
Beto O’Rourke challenge Abbott to governor of Texas next year (Bloomberg)
Republicans gain a hefty house advantage in 2022 as Gerrymandered maps emerge (The Washington Post)
Pfizer fights to keep its $ 36 billion COVID recipe secret (Bloomberg)
A newly leaked memo reveals Trump’s plot to turn the military into his personal team of henchmen (The Washington Post)
Hospital revokes Houston physician privileges to “spread dangerous misinformation” on COVID on Twitter (The Washington Post)
“He’s crazy and has a vengeance”: Cuomo won’t leave New York alone (Politic)
Is a 4-day work week the answer to employee burnout? Most American workers say yes (CNBC)
Elon Musk provocations Bernie Sanders, It suggests it will sell more Tesla stock (Bloomberg)
An online dating service aimed at Harvard students was recently revealed to be an elaborate joke and the brainchild of an MIT student. (Boston Globe)
The Parisians launch a last ditch effort to stop the construction of a 700 million euro skyscraper “gigantic piece of brie” (Telegraph)
More great stories from Vanity Fair
– In Major Shift, NIH admits funding Research on risky viruses in Wuhan
– Matt Gaetz is reportedly screwed Six ways from Sunday
– Reaffirm Joe Biden Trump’s status was Over January 6 Documents
– The Metaverse Everything is about to change
– Wayne LaPierre’s Weirdness, the reluctant leader of the NRA
– The January 6 Committee It is finally getting Trump’s allies to overthrow
– Jeffrey Epstein’s billionaire friend Leon Black is under investigation
– By dealing with the reality of Facebook—And the future problems of the dimensions of the metaverse
– From the Archive: Robert Durst, the fugitive heir
– Not a subscriber? Stick Vanity Fair to immediately receive full access to VF.com and the entire online archive.