What peaks are there to climb after four NBA championships and 17 All-Star team starts? Number one at the box office, of course.
Lebron James drove his Looney tunes teammates to victory this weekend, earning $ 31.7 million nationally. This is, according to The Hollywood Reporter, substantially higher than the $ 20 million expected. Space jam It was a record for family-oriented images since the coronavirus outbreak, despite the rather lousy reviews. (“I’ve never seen anything like it. I also hope I never see anything like it again”, wrote the Chicago Sun-Times‘s Richard Roeper). It also prevailed despite the fact that, as with all Warner Bros. titles of 2021, it was released simultaneously to HBO Max.
The mix of animation and live action, a continuation of the Michael Jordan-Leaded 1996 hit, co-stars Sonequa Martin-Verde other Don cheadleand sets a new benchmark for brand awareness with cameos and Easter eggs from other intellectual properties in the Warner Bros. portfolio. Classic titles such as White House rub shoulders with new favorites like Mad Max: Fury Road. But there are also some unexpected deep cuts, not for kids, with brief visual references to Stanley Kubrick A Clockwork Orange and Ken Russell The demons. Then, The Wizard of Oz may have been an MGM production, but thanks to a late 90s library takeover, appear. (Kids love corporate mergers!) this deep dive in all references; fortunately, WB’s Ready Player One did not make the cut. Otherwise, the world would collapse on itself.
Second place at the box office this weekend went to Black widowwhose fans had no reason to cry with $ 26.3 million in his second week he takes. What Space jam, this latest Marvel Cinematic Universe entry is available to watch at home, but at a $ 30 premium plus a monthly subscription to Disney +. From sony Escape Room: Tournament Champion it ranked third with $ 8.8 million in household income.
More great stories from Vanity fair
– How Loki It brought out the best ending of the Disney + era
– Iliza Shlesinger’s ex-boyfriend song About Everything – So she made a Netflix movie about him
– Manifesto of the bathtub by Timothée Chalamet in The French office
– Emmy Nominations: Biggest Slights and Surprises
– Do you need a new obsession for television? In this way to HBO’s The white lotus
– The worst person in the world It’s the best film in Cannes so far
– Wes Anderson stumbles upon his alienating new movie
– “They Murdered Me”: Reality TV stars rebel against the producers’ cheapest gimmick
– How to celebrate 20 years of Legally Blonde
– From the Archive: The mentor and the movie star
– Sign up for the “HWD Daily” newsletter for industry coverage and must-read awards, plus a special weekly edition of Awards Insider.