Larger groups of five can be expected to dine together starting next Monday (July 12), Finance Minister Lawrence Wong said in Parliament.
This will be an increase from the current two per group, as Singapore relaxes measures and opens more from a recent outbreak in community cases.
The stricter rules that were put in place to curb the spread of Covid-19, including a ban on dining at home and then reducing the allowed size of group gatherings from five to two people, went into effect from May 16 to May 13. June and then extended to June 20.
The measures were to reduce the risks of transmission indoors in environments where people do not wear their masks.
Wong said the latest round of outbreaks did not justify an economy-wide circuit breaker like last year. Instead, the Covid-19 measurements were calibrated based on the severity of the outbreaks.
Wong also said that the country’s Covid-19 testing capabilities have improved and that there has been good progress in the vaccination campaign.
Almost 40 per cent of people in Singapore have been vaccinated and about 8,000 daily doses have been administered.
Featured Image Credit: Ore Huiying via Getty Images