The House Select Committee investigating the events of Jan.6 is trying to gather information from at least five people close to former Vice President Mike Pence, according to CNN.
The committee reportedly sued Keith Kellogg, who served as National Security Advisor, on Tuesday. Kellogg accompanied former President Trump for most of January 6 as supporters of the then president violated the Capitol on the day of the joint session of Congress certifying Joe Biden’s election victory.
According to CNN, some individuals within Pence’s inner circle could be open – either voluntarily or through a “friendly indictment” – to offer critical information detailing the efforts of Trump and his allies to pressure the then. vice president to overturn the 2020 election results.
Some pence aides have reportedly been shown to be more willing to engage with the panel than previously known.
Receive TPM in your inbox, twice a week.
Last week, the chairman of the January 6 committee, Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-MS) confirmed on CNN that the panel contacted members of Pence’s inner circle, who had a mixed reaction to the effort.
“Well, yes and no,” Thompson told CNN when asked if Pence’s partners had been cooperative. “I don’t just want to say yes, when there have been some people who have clearly said no. So we’ve had, you know, people on both sides.”
Thompson refused to disclose the names of any Pence aides the committee contacted or discussed with.
However, the list is made up of Pence’s former chief adviser Greg Jacob and former chief of staff Marc Short, according to CNN.
Additionally, an informed source told CNN that former Pence chief of staff Nick Ayers, former director of legislative affairs Chris Hodgson, political adviser Marty Obst, and former special assistant Zach Bauer are also of potential interest in. the committee.
CNN also noted that Alyssa Farah, former Pence press secretary and Trump communications aide Alyssa Farah who left the administration a month before Trump left office, voluntarily met with Republicans on the committee – Reps. Liz Cheney (R-WY) and Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) – and the information provided.
Obst denied CNN in an email that he had any contact with the committee or that any of its members had contacted him.
The CNN report comes the next day a federal judge prevented Trump from preventing the Jan.6 committee from accessing executive branch records created during his administration. Trump had previously signaled his intention to appeal the ruling in a filing this week, asking for permission to do so before the judge makes a decision on the matter.