FiveThirtyEight is seeking a senior reporter to write in-depth articles on America’s News Block and elections with a particular focus on the intersection of News Block and culture – how culture increasingly influences political identity and what that means. for our News Block, but also what that means for our society. We are at a critical juncture in American history, and we need an experienced reporter who works both independently and collaboratively with colleagues in the newsroom to help us tell authoritative stories about American democracy, the electorate, and the latest trends. spacious that change each one.
A successful candidate will have produced longer, more ambitious articles and shorter day-to-day stories. In other words, we are looking for someone with experience in defining and successfully covering a particular beat, pushing that beat week by week, but also stepping back to write stories with scope and scope. We are also looking for someone with a proven track record of combining reports and empirical evidence in their stories, but that work can take many forms – for example, seeking academic experience or using information from the census, surveys, or other statistics in their reports. Stat skills would be an advantage, but they are by no means necessary. The most important thing for us is that you have experience in combining data with more traditional reports to count large, important and original stories about this moment in our nation’s history and what will come next. How is the electorate changing: its composition, its opinions? How are the parties changing? And what does all this mean for our democracy and our society?
The Senior Policy Reporter will report to the Policy Editor, but we are looking for someone eager to collaborate with colleagues in the newsroom (our video, podcast and visual journalists especially). Senior Politics Journalist is a US based position and telecommuting can be considered. The position is full time with benefits. Apply with a cover letter and resume on the Disney job portal.
- Write a mix of shorter and longer articles each month that explore how culture and News Block intersect.
- Contribute to FiveThirtyEight podcasts and videos.
- Work with the editing and graphics teams to develop and execute important projects from time to time.
- Work with the policy editor and other colleagues to help guide Five Thirty Eight’s overall political coverage.
- Experience as a reporter covering US News Block either locally or nationally.
- A history of creating and executing original story ideas involving in-depth reporting and analysis.
- Experience in using data in your reports.
- Experience working with academic and scientific research on News Block, race and ethnicity.
- Familiarity with spreadsheet and data analysis software.