Archie Battersbee’s parents were overjoyed to learn that a UK Court of Appeal judge overturned the decision to remove their 12-year-old son from life support.
A three-judge panel ruled Wednesday that the case must be heard again after the High Court ruling wrongly determined the boy was dead, according to the Christian Legal Center who has been supporting the family.
GOOD NEWS: The Court of Appeal has reversed the decision that 12-year-old Archie Battersbee should be taken off life support.
Please continue to pray for Archie, his family and everyone involved. The case will be heard again by the High Court on July 11.https://t.co/D1dpfOJgwq
— Christian concern (@CCern) June 29, 2022
CBN News previously reported that Archie’s mother and father, Holly Dance and Paul Battersbee, are trying to give their son every chance at life after he was found unconscious on April 7 with a cord around his neck. He had reportedly participated in what is believed to be an online blackout challenge.
The boy has been on life support at the Royal London Hospital and has not regained consciousness.
Doctors said it is “highly likely” the boy is already brain dead and asked the court to rule that it is in Archie’s best interest to take him off life support.
His parents say a video of Archie grabbing his mother’s fingers is proof that he is still alive and his brain is working.
Lawyers for Barts Health NHS Trust said doctors have recreated the moment the boy holds a doctor’s hand, but hospital workers said it was just “friction” not a grip, which doctors say is consistent with muscle stiffness.
Andrea Williams, Executive Director of the Christian Legal Centre, said: “The ruling shows the critical importance of never giving up. In these difficult times, nerves and principle matter. This trial defends life and will protect many more people from harm. a slippery slope, in which the legal definition of death is broadened.”
She continued: “Where there is life, there is hope. We continue to pray that Archie can recover, given more time.”
In online petition to the hospital’s CEO to ask that legal action in Archie’s case be dropped. So far, 89,768 people have signed it.
A GoFundMe The page has also been created on behalf of the child. So far, the account has raised £29,487 GBP, which is equivalent to almost $36,000 US dollars.
the daily mail reports that Archie’s parents were “delighted” with the recent court decision and that “it really couldn’t have gone better”.
The High Court is scheduled to hear Archie’s case again on July 11, with the understanding that the boy is still alive.