With the arrival of the summer season, it is important to keep your body cool and well hydrated to combat the scorching heat. And nothing can be better than a refreshing healthy summer.
You may have tried a variety of summer coolers, but what if we told you that there is a drink that not only hydrates but also detoxifies the body and promotes weight loss? Nutritionist Munmun Ganeriwal suggested drinking variyali sorbet, which she says is an instant summer refresher.
“Long before the ‘weight loss’ industry glamorized detox drinks, almost every Indian household was already swearing by their own special summer drinks made from everyday ingredients from the kitchen,” the nutritionist, who also planned Taapsee Pannu’s diet for the movie Rashmi rockethe wrote on Instagram.
Variyali Sherbet is made with fennel or saunf seeds that contain a flavonoid called kaempferol, Ganeriwal mentions in an Instagram story. This compound has antioxidant properties; it is this compound that confers “detoxification” and “weight loss” properties to green tea.
Making variyali sorbet is pretty simple, but you need to do some preparations ahead of time. Take a look at the recipe shared by the nutritionist:
¼ cup – Fennel seeds (powdered)
1 tablespoon – dried black raisins
2 tablespoons white rock sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
2 cups of water
* Crush the fennel seeds to a fine powder.
* Soak the powder in water for about two to three hours.
* Soak dried black raisins separately in water for two to three hours.
* Grind the rock sugar with a mortar.
* Once the powder is properly soaked, strain the water with the help of a strainer into a bowl.
* Grind the raisins in a blender and strain into the same bowl. Mix both liquids well.
* Add the sugar to the bowl and mix well.
* You can also add a drop of lemon juice. Your fennel seed sorbet is ready.
When do you try this?