Tennis legend Roger Federer began his return Of the multiple knee surgeries he underwent last year in March and then surprised many when he pulled out of the French Open last week after a demanding third-round victory.
Ahead of next week’s Noventi Open in Halle, Germany, the 39-year-old explained on Friday that he “would have taken the place I am today”, in regards to his physical condition, at Roland Garros and said the start of grass court. The season is “time to go” as Wimbledon approaches.
“The knee always needs extra care, and I hope it reacts well to grass as well,” Federer said, according to Reuters (h / t ESPN). “I’m probably going to push a little bit more in practice this afternoon or maybe tomorrow, just to prepare the body for the grass courts, and I hope I don’t have negative reactions.
“I’m pretty positive about my chances … I’m sure I’ll be fine somehow in the next few days. But of course I want to be injury free. That’s the most important thing. [thing] right now.”
Wimbledon begins on June 28 and Federer is running out of time to build on the all-time record of 20 Grand Slam titles that he currently shares with Rafael Nadal.