After deciding not to compete at the French Open on Monday due to the toll his press conferences were taking on his sanity, Naomi osaka has received great support from both celebrities and professional athletes.
Last Wednesday, the tennis star currently ranked second in the world announced that he would no longer participate in traditional post-game press conferences to better protect his mental health. In response, the French Open tournament referee fined her $ 15,000 and the Grand Slam organizers threatened to expel her from the event if she did not participate in the interviews. So instead, Osaka decided to just pay the fine and exit the competition entirely, writing on Instagram on Monday, “I think now the best thing for the tournament, the other players and my well-being is that I retire so that everyone can get back to concentrating on the tennis that takes place in Paris. I never wanted to be a distraction and I accept that my moment was not ideal and that my message could have been clearer. “
Since making that difficult decision, several stars have shown their enthusiastic support for the 23-year-old tennis player, including Will Smith who posted a picture of himself On Instagram Thursday holding a handwritten note that says, “Hey Naomi, you’re right. You are wrong! I am with you. ” Viola Davis added Twitter, “As someone who also deals with social anxiety, I admire your courage and sympathize with you @naomiosaka”, and Dionne Warwickwrote, “I’m glad you realize that your health and well-being are your priority. Take care of yourself always! You are the only you that you have! “Even the former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary clinton intervened in the Osaka decision, tweeting, “I’m inspired by @ NaomiOsaka’s courage. This is a time for all of us, especially the press, to wonder why it is not enough to let his stellar performance on the court speak for itself. “
More great stories from Vanity fair
– An intimate view of a young Queen Elizabeth II
– The Sacklers released OxyContin. Everybody knows it now.
– Exclusive Excerpt: An Icy Death at the Bottom of the World
– Lolita Blake bailey and me
– Kate Middleton and the future of the monarchy
– The occasional dating terror in the digital age
– The 13 best facial oils for healthy and balanced skin
– From the archive: Tinder and the dawn of the “dating apocalypse”
– Sign up for the “Royal Watch” newsletter to get all the talk from Kensington Palace and beyond.